Thursday, October 6, 2011

L.M. Montgomery Is a Kindred Spirit

I have two jobs right now. During my free time, I am reading books to fill in small gaps of time. Right now I am reading the Anne of Green Gables series.  I am at Anne of Windy Poplars right now. This story, and it's titular character, has rekindled a sense of wonder and romance during a time when it seemed the flame of my artistic heart had been blown out.

I owe a lot to the wonderful author who created this world, miss Lucy Maud Montgomery.Isn't it ironic that she doesn't insist that Maud is spelled with an e at the end? Anyway, Lucy Maud, or L.M. Montgomery, has a lot to say about names. It seems in every book there is something said about names and their quality. I believe that were Miss Montgomery here today, she would be a fancier of names.She comes up with the most charming and suitable names for her characters. Here are a few of my favorite names from all of Miss Montgomery's work, even some outside of the "Anne Universe" as I call it:
Anne (of course)
Diana
Marilla
Gilbert
Ruby
Josephine (let's not mention Josie)
Matthew
Davy
Lavender
Carlotta
Priscilla
Phillippa, with the nickname Phil
Jem
Walter
Rilla
Emily (no matter how many people think it's a trendy name, I love it)
Marigold
Patricia, nicknamed Pat


There are also names that I love mainly for having a connection to the series:
Amaryllis :A fancier way to get to Marilla or Rilla
Averil: from Anne's first published work, Averil's Atonement
Avonlea: The name of the town Anne lives in
Cordelia: Anne's imagined name.
Edward: after Prince Edward's Island
Poplar: From Anne of Windy Poplars. It makes an interesting middle-name idea


All in all, it's my belief that Miss Lucy Maude Montgomery is a kindred spirit when it comes to names.She at least writes her character having thoughts about names that only a true enthusiast would be attuned to. Also, she comes up with the most delightful names.

Image Source

No comments:

Post a Comment