Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Family Names: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Some people have a lot of choice when it comes to family names. They have a great aunt Heloise, and they use it as a middle name.
My family is not that lucky.
There are some good names in my family name pool, but there are also some names that would raise eyebrows, roll eyes, and just not cut it in current times. Here is a lit of the names my various family members have in no specific chronological order:
Gail(not short for Abigail. Just Gail)
Rufus
Miles
Viet (named around the start of the Vietnam War to add insult to injury)
Crystal
Alphonse
Gay
Millicent
Sylvia
Olivia
Julia
Bunny( she's one of my oldest relatives, so cutesy names are not a modern invention)
Ruby
Darryl
Mable
John
Jenkins
Stella
Alice( middle name Belle)

I take these names into consideration when looking at names. Still, there obviously needs to be more classic names in the pool. I feel there is room to improvise.

1 comment:

  1. I think Alphonse is great, and Ruby is just the cutest. You've got some good names there!

    ReplyDelete