Friday, October 7, 2011

Girly Men

I hate that a male name sounding too "feminine" is considered a drawback on a name.

It insults my sensibilities as a feminist .I hate that while a girl with a "tomboyish" name sounds cool, a boy whose name isn't hard-edged or solid would gasp! not sound butch enough to blend into the gender binary and be teased to death. Never mind these close-minded children who probably learned to be close-minded from their parents. It's time we stop worrying about how tainted a boy can be by the pink haze of femininity and just embrace the beauty of a soft or elaborate name. Here are a few of my ideas:

Alphonse
August
Darius
Floros
Janus
Marlowe
Raphael
Skye
Sylvus
Zephyr
Granted, I do not find these names particularly "feminine", but they fit in the style of names that people often say have a feminine sound, and some of them are too feminine or are associated with girl's names.


picture source

No comments:

Post a Comment