Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Japanese Names For The Modern Gaikokujin

I have a deep affection for Japan. There are so many aspects of Japanese culture that I admire and feel more connected to than compared to American culture. I especially love Japanese names. They are chosen always with a lovely meaning in mind, and a lot of them are wonderfully nature-themed.
One issue, however, is that I am nowhere near Japanese . Honoring this love for Japanese culture that I will share with my children (IE watching Anime DVDs) will be difficult to express in the outside world. I could name my child Megumi Nara for Naoki Akira, but everyone is going to comment on how un-Japanese the child looks compared to the name.Even if she or he is  part Japanese (I wouldn't be silly enough to give someone part Chinese or Korean a Japanese name BTW), it'll be a bit incongruous to give an Asian name with no consideration for American roots.

I put a lot of thought into this because indeed, no matter whatever is in my future, I want to have children and watch Anpanman and speak to my child in Japanese.Some people play french lullabies and give them little baby berets, but I prefer to branch beyond Europe.

Anyway, Here are some names that are Japanese, but are not too hard to pronounce, and in some cases, sound covertly English.

Aiko
Ame
Inari
Mio
Mori
Marie (pronounced ma-ri-eh)
Ruri
Rei
Ren
Suki
Zen (more of a concept than a name, but it works)

1 comment:

  1. Suki and Ren are both lovely names, and not dissimilar to the already established names Susie and Wren.

    ReplyDelete