Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Doll Names

Dolls are curious things. Their sole function is as a pretty object that inspires it's owner's imagination.I've been thinking about the names dolls are given, and how they are different from the names of real people.

Dolls have names that range from elaborate to cutesy. For example, Mimi may be a bit childish a name for a future adult, and Carlotta may be too much, but both names would work for a doll. Dolls, after all, are perpetually youthful, and they often are in dresses frillier than any name.

Doll names are antiques to match the period of dress the doll is in.Real people have antique names as well, but there is often a modern sentiment thrown in there somewhere.Dolls have more unique vintage names that I find very lovely.

These ideas of Doll Names, however, seems to be all in my imagination. It turns out that most of the dolls are given more current names despite the period of dress they wear. This is done so that little Madison can have a doll to match her name.While doing research for this post to see what dolls are really named, I stumbled upon a doll in a lovely floral dress and hairstyle in the Victorian style named Tyra. I suppose my idea of Doll Names is purely a concept.Still, I like the sentiment behind the style of names I consider Doll Names. Here are names that would suit a doll, and maybe even a person. Just as long as the two are not confused.

Antoinette
Bettina
Bebe
Carmina
Carlotta
Flora
Georgette
Hattie
Jessamine
Kiki
Lucy
Lulu
Mirabella
Mimi
Natalia
Tabitha
Tilly

image source

No comments:

Post a Comment