Monday, July 16, 2012

Simple Names From A Dream

"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream?" 
A Dream Within A Dream by Edgar Allan Poe


I had a dream a while back. I was calling out to a little girl that was my own. It was a bright sunny day, and this took place on a lawn. I do not remember the name I called out, but I could feel how the name felt: Simple. I know for sure it was a simple kind of name.

Many have said that dreams are a way of telling you something. I subscribe to that motto. If I had a dream of a plane crashing before a big trip, I would cancel the flight. It sounds silly, but it's an uncertain world, and it's only human to cling to any source of certainty.

Nonetheless, this dream has inspired me to go searching for names that are simple. Over at nameberry, I asked for users ideas of what a simple name looks like. here are some names that repeated in people's responses:

Jane
Joan
Jean
June
Mary
Anne
Ruth
Tess
Tessa
Grace
Nora

One comment from taz, a senior member, brought great insight into the benefits of simple names:
"Any classic name fits perfectly. I think that simplicity is an excellent thing to keep in mind when naming. Who would want a confusing name?!"

So I am going to consider simplicity, and especially the names suggested, in looking for The Right Name.

No comments:

Post a Comment